WordPress 5.5, code named “Eckstine, was released earlier this week, and it is the second major release of 2020 packed with a lot of improvements, many of them are focused around the WordPress block editor. It also includes some long-awaited features that are making their debut with this release.
WordPress 5.5 is a major release, and unless you are using a managed WordPress service, you’ll have to manually initiate the update.
Read more here on:
- What to do before updating to WordPress 5.5
- Some of the highlights of this release
What to consider before starting the update to WordPress 5.5
Important: Don’t forget to create a complete WordPress backup before starting the update.
- As this is a major update, it is possible something may go wrong, so before starting the update, make sure you have a full working backup. If something should go wrong and you are not able to fix it, you can use the backup to restore the site.
- Consider cloning the site to a staging environment where you can process the update without affecting your live site.
- It is most likely that the most popular plugins will have updated their software to be compatible with WordPress 5.5, however, it is advisable to check with the relevant developers to be sure. If you have purchased a license for a premium plugin and have not renewed the license, you will want to check if they are offering a free update or you may need to renew your support license with them.
- This release includes around 1500 updates, so this is a very important release and we recommend you do update. If your website has not been updated in a while, consider getting professional help. If you are not sure in the status of your site, WP Assist is offering a free, no obligation, audit of your WordPress site. Get in touch with us to start the process.
Some of the highlights of this release
WordPress 5.5 “Eckstine” Introduces Block Directory, Block Patterns, and Automatic Updates for Themes and Plugins Named for American jazz singer Billy Eckstine. This release introduces major improvements for the block editor and the security of WordPress.
If you are using the block editor, you will love this update.
New block patterns make it simple and fun to create complex, beautiful layouts, using combinations of text and media that you can mix and match to fit your story.
You will also find block patterns in a wide variety of plugins and themes, with more added all the time. Pick any of them from a single place — just click and go
The new block directory
Now it’s easier than ever to find the block you need. The new block directory is built right into the block editor, so you can install new block types to your site without ever leaving the editor.
Inline image editing
Crop, rotate, and zoom your photos right from the image block. If you spend a lot of time on images, this could save you hours!
Official announcement here
At your service
WP Assist, powered by Vertopia, has assisted clients with WordPress related for more than 10 years. With years of experience and knowledge of WordPress, our team is able to not only build great websites, but provide a care plans to ensure your ever evolving WordPress website is always up-to-date, secure and securely backed up. Our care plans cover all types of websites. Learn more here.
If you are uncertain or afraid to update to WordPress 5.5, we totally get, in can be daunting. Let us help you. We are offering you a free, no obligation, audit. Get in touch to start the process.
Happy updating 😉